Aggh too many languages!!

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by NoobNinja, Apr 21, 2015.

1. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of beginning to design games and I know C++ can do that but i want to learn some other languages too for specific things below

Make games
    Make website
    make a good looking website
    have powerful languages to put on a resume
    what are the best languages for these goals?

Also is there a specific language i should learn so that I can understand C++ better?

2. Gallacy

Gallacy New Member

Learn java

1. Great for games (libgdx, lwjgl, jmonkeyengine)
    2. Great for website (jsp, servlets, spring mvc)
    3. Grab "good looking" from themeforrest, plug in to java application
    4. Very powerful and crazy popular language

If you are new to programming grab http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/ and then go to java after you learnt how to properly program.

3. mairsil

Indie Author

I disagree with learning/using Java (or any single language) for everything. It is better to get a breadth of knowledge with various languages. Java/C# are good starts to maybe help you understand C++ better (to some extent), as you can learn OOP principles without needing to worry too much about memory management. By all means, learn JavaScript too.

4. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Don't be the Jack of all trades. The best approach I heard is chosen the right platform first for the business aspect and then choosing the language and tools to develop on that platform. C++ is a great language in the game industry. C# also popular with Unity. PHP, Javascript and jQuery are in demand in the web industry.

5. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

soo, javascript, PHP, java and C++?

- - - Updated - - -

and this teaches language specific syntax right? the last book i bought did not.
    Side note: know any websites with error logs and solutions with the IDE

6. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

ok so websites more of an afterthought my focus is in level design and coding the games

7. mairsil

Indie Author

I would still recommend JavaScript, even if you are staying away from web development (HTML5 games are widely available though). It is highly versatile and shows up in some engines (e.g. Unity).

Not sure what you are asking regarding language-specific syntax.

#7 mairsil, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. Crocodoctopus

Crocodoctopus New Member

If you already know C++ to a reasonable degree, Java (or any high language) wont help you learn any more of it. If you're looking for a versatile set of languages to learn all the walks of life, I'd suggest PHP, Lisp, C and Python. C++ is one of those languages that put heavy emphasis on very specific details, something many other languages don't do. IMO, the best way to get better at C++ is to program in C++.

(Note, when you say "learn C++", I assume you're referring to the language itself, and not programming concepts in general)

9. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

like the basic syntax of the language the book teaches. basically the book i got last assumed i knew the groundworks of of C++ like tags and error messages.

- - - Updated - - -

hey i need to learn thebasic programming concepts of C++

- - - Updated - - -

also i dont know C++ at all

10. skwidman157

skwidman157 New Member

11. mairsil

Indie Author

Let's start over and try to simplify this. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking to get a start in game programming, a start in C++ or just a start in programming in general?

12. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

a start in game programming

13. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

I actually have this book i couldn't even get past "Hello World" I kept getting some error code and theres no reference as to what the problem is.

14. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Make sure your IDE and libraries are set up correctly.

15. skwidman157

skwidman157 New Member

Chances are you forgot to #include <iostream> or forgot to write using namespace std.

16. Gallacy

Gallacy New Member

If you are any serious about programming in general or C++ in particular you have to get this book http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

Any other book > 3 years old will teach you old concepts of C++ that while still can be used are considered to be obsolete now!!!

You need to learn modern C++ based on recent standards and recommendations - and believe me - it is becoming simpler to use this language!

It will teach you how to stay away from raw pointers and direct memory allocations, how to use new great language features - and give you a chance to learn good practices and become a great C++ developer.

Stay away from Javascript and PHP - while they are very popular they teach you bad practices and anti-patterns.

TLDR: Get the book: http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

17. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

ok so i reinstalled visual studio 2013 C++ uploaded the gameover and calculator source code from the book and im still getting unexpected error check test output panel. did that and both are saying both cannot be null Parameter name Solution dictionary

#17 NoobNinja, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  18. mairsil

Indie Author

Here is a basic Hello World setup, showing step by step with VS 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OD_O9FE6Q

It sounds like the examples that you are using are too complicated or didn't get loaded properly. If you start with a "good" project, you can always add to it.

19. Michael Flad

Indie Author

20. NoobNinja

NoobNinja New Member

arright so worked out the kinks, problem was with the ide itself. anyway so good stack. C++ Java/javascript, python, and PHP?