ads for free games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by vbovio, Oct 9, 2009.

1. vbovio

vbovio New Member

Hi there,

I'm considering releaseing a free game, so I'm looking at advertising opportunities as a chance to make something on the game

1) are there any ad services for in-game ads on PC/Mac games (not flash) ?

2) any good service for placing banners on a website ?, if so, do you earn by impressions or clicks ?

Thanks.

2. Acord

Acord New Member

Don't waste your time... Each impression is worth far less than a cent right now.

3. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Indeed. I'm paying around 10 cents for 1,000 impressions at the moment on some sites.
    So if you have a million plays of the game, that would be $100.

edit: Minus the ad agencies cut, obviously...

4. Acord

Acord New Member

Now, if you're ADVERTISING your game, then that's a different bag of animal parts.

5. Colm

Colm New Member

Generally speaking ads are only worthwhile once you have crazy traffic. If you want to try it, slap in something super simple to setup like a Google Adwords banner and see for yourself. I'm getting ~$0.70 eCPM on a single adwords banner on a site with free flash games (see sig), which means at ~90K pageviews/month it only makes about $50.

Try the ad, but don't expect to make much at all from it. Perhaps a free game is better for your portfolio than your wallet?

This isn't a flash game is it? Cos if it were you'd have decent options to get some cash for it despite giving it away to players for free.

6. vbovio

vbovio New Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

no, it is not a flash game, its just a pacman clone with powerups..
    I might just try the banner ads..

Colm: how difficult is to port C++/OpenGL based games to flash ??

7. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

I also checked for ad revenues for PC games. Here are the links I found. I think there are other companies. I did not search a lot. I saw Cydoor a few years, but now it looks like it is closed and I think it is because of the adware/spyware controversy. Try to be careful.

The bookmarks I have:
    http://www.engageadvertising.com/
    http://www.massiveincorporated.com/
    http://www.igaworldwide.com/ (the layout is out of screen at the moment in IE)

I would appreciate your feedback if you try any of these companies (or other companies).

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

It's quite hard. Probably you're better to start a new game from scratch and IF YOU REALLY WANT, try one of those ads companies for flash. Just don't expect anything great...
    For example from mochiads this year I got less than $50 for almost 8 months of ads for 3 games :D