Abdacack early screenshot

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by agog, Nov 23, 2005.

1. agog

Original Member

can i have some feedback on this lone screenshot, i know it isnt much but id like to see what other people think of it...

[​IMG]

2. Sharpfish

Original Member

It looks like a shoot-em-up prototype with clashy colours and a placeholder (or non-existant) backdrop.

Gonna need more than that for any decent feedback. What specifically are you looking for comments on? the Cartoon ships I suspect? It is hard to comment on anything else as it just looks like a few tiles/sprites on screen... just imo of course ;)

need..more...info!

3. agog

Original Member

blitz lags when i add in to much background stuff so i made it....well....
    would redoing it in 3D be worth it?

4. lakibuk

Indie Author

Isn't Platypus written in Blitz? And it got a multi-level scrolling background.

5. Sharpfish

Original Member

redoing what? I doubt anyone can give informed opinions without knowing more than you have made a screenshot of a shoot-em-up.

How about introducing the game a bit more and saying what your intentions are for it, the scope of it etc? and maybe some more screenshots.

I am not sure what it is you are asking for at this point? If it is purely for feedback on gfx - which it must be - then there is not a lot to say in my opinion without knowing what you are aiming for. :)

come on, spill the beans ;)

6. Robert Cummings

Original Member

I think you just need to try and finish a simple game and grow in experience.

With respect I think indiegamer is more of a mature site (I hope it aspires to be) rather than a showcase or newbie city.

I think if you want to make games, then the best thing you can do isn't turn it into 3D, but complete what you have.

7. TimS

Original Member

Since all you posted was a screenshot, I'll assume you want feedback on art. Would it be worth redoing in 3D? Perhaps...

What I can tell you is that it'd be worth getting an artist to do it (3D or 2). Shiny pixel magic awaits ye.

Re: Rob's comment,
    This is largely the case... with the exception of myself and Rob... the newbs. :rolleyes:

8. agog

Original Member

ok i took some other screenshots one from the menu and one from each level i have so far...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the gameplay is meant to be fast ,hard, and look like your in a cartoon.
    -do you think it the graphics are good enough?
    -what kind of gameplay do you like in a side scroller like this?
    -and since it is done in b2d should i remake the game in b3d to be able to accually have a multi layerd background?
    -what is the most importaint aspect of the games you guys have made?

remember that its still early and can be changed, so throw me any ideas u have.

thx, still getting used to this site.

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

Hi Agog,
    Ok, now we are getting somewhere (ish).

So it is a side scrolling shoot-em-up, you want a "cartoon" look and fast action.

"the gameplay is meant to be fast ,hard, and look like your in a cartoon."

Can not comment on the gameplay from a screenshot. It doesn't really look like a cartoon at the moment, but is obviously heading towards that style - needs a bit more thought in the colours and the actual sprites look a bit rough.

"do you think it the graphics are good enough?"

Good enough to convey a game prototype and be fun for you and your mates? certainly, good enough for people to BUY? doubtful - but then these kind of games CAN get by if they have killer gameplay instead. The problem is you haven't said what your intention is. 99% of people on this forum are making games to be sold so our opinions are based on that rather than if your game "works" or not. Maybe gamedev.net would be better? (unless you do intend to make shareware products etc)

"-what kind of gameplay do you like in a side scroller like this?"

Side scrolling shoot-em-up gameplay ;) seriously, the basics of a shootemup and then whatever you think it should have. We normally give feedback and suggestions on almost finished games as final tweaks etc.. we don't design games for people from scratch ;)

"-and since it is done in b2d should i remake the game in b3d to be able to accually have a multi layerd background?"

Have you played platypus by squashy software (Anthony Flack)? That is a good example of a polished shooter made in Blitz (not sure if 2D or 3D) but according to Karl - probably 2D. That has many parallax scrolling backgrounds and plays fine. This could be your code rather than limits of Blitz?

<edit>
    http://www.geocities.com/agog_bros/platypusbug.PNG
    http://www.geocities.com/agog_bros/shot2s.JPG
    yes I can see you have played Platypus, and your sprites bear a similarity to their style - did you use it as a "blueprint" - I notice your horizion line is virtually the same position and the cartoon ships are a similar shape - of course in clay they look great - not sure it is as easy to pull of a pleasing look with hand drawn graphics like that. I can see you are basically trying to re-make platypus without the clay? Am I correct - please correct me if I am wrong.

</edit>

"-what is the most importaint aspect of the games you guys have made?"

I haven't released a game for sale (in the last decade anyway) of my own, but I do know that this differs depending on your intentions/target. Primarily of course game play is the biggy. Good graphics help a lot to get people to download the game in the first place so really you need both if you intend to sell. Also polish is pretty much vital these days (again, if you intend to sell your games). And lastly - the defining step - actually finishing the game! which is where a large percentage of people screw up and give up. :)

Specific feedback about the shots. There is little contrast between the foreground and background - even in the static shots it looks difficult to track the sprites and incomming bullets against the same coloured/contrasted backdrops. Maybe try desaturating the backdrops, possibly a small gaussian blur plus a drop in brightness to really seperate it from the foreground. As I said before the colours could do with being more uniform and with better hues. A nice bitmap font with some style would be nicer than using "real" fonts like arial for instance. There should be plenty of bitmap font libraries for blitz to use. And what does the name mean? it is a bit of a mouthful.

Anyway, just keep plugging away at it - we all have to rework / prototype / polish our games (and in some cases scrap them) so you are not alone, but again for better feedback a playable alpha demo and a clear project roadmap would work wonders! :)

Good luck

#9 Sharpfish, Nov 24, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  10. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Platypus was originally written using the very first version of Blitz Basic. When Mike re-released it, he ported it over to Blitz Plus, I think. And for the recent Mac release, it was ported over to Blitz Max. That's a lot of porting for the most horrible code ever written...

So in other words, it's been running on every version of Blitz except Blitz 3d. Any version of Blitz should be more than capable of doing multi-layered parallax scrolling on your average PC. If it's running too slow, you're probably doing something wrong - like drawing an object lots of times on top of itself, or using an image that's bigger than the graphics mode you're using (many cards don't like this).

11. agog

Original Member

ok so, i have allot of work to do....

i will put a demo somwhere soon.

the name, well....it doesnt mean anything in real, when i started the game and i had to save it as somthing i just typed that in and kept it....

the large clouds and that mountain are huge images, i will change them.

as for all the people who think im trying to remake platypus, im not, and its painfull when people say that my ideas are somone elses. truthfully, i just want to make somthing unique and crazy.

the images do need work on animated flipping around stuff. i need more cloud shapes, and to make things in the forground stand out more. as for the bullets though, in game they are blinking, so they stand out a little more...

thx.

12. Sharpfish

Original Member

Hey I wasn't saying you were copying per se, I was trying to get a clearer idea of what you were trying to acheive - I posted that other pic because there were in my opinion similarities (other then being a shoot em up) and Surely it must have inspired you? It is a very inspirational game from an art/thematic standpoint.

anyway.. got your PM. I didn't think you had the shot on there for any particular reason, again it just seemed to look simliar to the other shots of your wip and thought it may help in discussion of what you were aiming for.

And as for your ideas being someone elses? well, you have kinda said you needed ideas from feedback so wouldn't the ideas then be someone elses anyway? as it stands it "appears" (again from static shots only, which is the danger of just posting a shot and expecting the kind of feedback you want without specific information on what you are doing) to be a generic side scrolling shooter. So if you want to make something "i just want to make somthing unique and crazy" then you will have to (obviously) try to think up what will make it unique as I can bet not many people will just give unique ideas away if they intend to use them themselves.

I am sure once you post a playable demo you will get more the kind of feedback you are after (mechanics rather than style).

rgds

13. robleong

Indie Author

Actually, I find the graphics kinda cute, but it does bear a passing resemblance to Platypus, which is why you have comments here about that. However, the background appears rather plain - is the scrolling multilayered at least? Yep, it'll be interesting to test out a demo. Good luck with the game.