A warning to not trust platform holders?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, May 11, 2011.

1. Son of Bryce

Son of Bryce New Member

Scharlo, this article is a bit dramatic but it explains the situation. Essentially, Apple wants 30% of sales and subscriptions made outside of the app as well. So if you have your estore on an Android device, you wouldn't be able to carry purchased content over to a iPhone version of that same app. Or if you purchased the item through the app creators website.

It would be nice if you bought a physical subscription to a magazine, then you could also have an iPad version for free. But I guess with these new rules that impossible unless the developer gives up an extra 30%.

2. Vino

Vino New Member

The reason Microsoft got pegged was because it was using the prominence of one product in one sector to affect the prominence of another product in another sector. Microsoft is allowed to have a monopoly as long as they don't use it to block others out of the system or force their way into other markets. Trying to maintain control over their system is also I think reasonable for Microsoft to be able to do, just the same way that console manufacturers lock their systems down so that only approved applications can run.

So, Apple having a phone that can only run Apple-approved software which uses Apple supporting libraries is totally okay by me. Apple developed the product so Apple should set the rules by which people use it. But if Apple uses their iOS platform to force a book selling platform out of business, that is questionable.

(PS: Not a lawyer, these are obviously just my opinions.)

3. meds

meds New Member

So by your reasoning the entire concept of the app store is illegal...?

Microsoft, who developed Windows, was not allowed to simply block people from using the OS to deliver sotware on it. They didn't even set rules, they were just given a hard time for giving a web browser away for free with the OS.

Only where it's relevant ;)

#23 meds, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

The 2 stories are completely different. Microsoft had full monopole on personal computer (and business too), Apple only hardly managed like 25% of the smartphone market (that's a far strech from monopoly).

JC

5. meds

meds New Member

Funny how Apple fanboys downplay Apples monopolistic status when it suits them.

Apple has by far the most control, it's 25%, but it actually is 25%, while the rest of the pie is sliced up between rivals.

6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I can't give a crap about hype/brand. Having saying that, I LOVE my Ipad (but also my PC too). I don't even own an iphone (I do all my testing on Ipad/Ipod), I'm only using my MAC when I have to. So seriously, you can't call me an Apple fanboy. I'm just appauled by your anti Apple comments. I'm 40 years old now, when I was a kid like you, we were debating about what was best: Amiga or Atari ST, Commode 64 or Amstrad.... These pointless debate are for pueril kids. Here, on these forums we are more interested about how can we maximaze our revenue. What ever the platform, be it with Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Facebook, JAVA, FLASH, Portals...

JC

7. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Well, meds, you look like C# fanboy too me, so you're naturally upset if someone doesn't share your point of view. I'm with jcottier... Apple knows how to make money, at least at the moment, and as long as the moment lasts, I am with them (as a developer and customer).

8. meds

meds New Member

I never said you were a fanboy, but you seem to be defending yourself from being one. Guess that's your own little insecurity you're going to have to deal with :rolleyes:

I don't like a company which decides to arbitrarily fuck you in the ass, maybe I'm just too idealistic, but hey, better idealistic than old and conceited.

Does Apple do bad things? Yes, they do a lot of bad things, and they're about the only company I know of which mobilizes its fanboys against the little guy when it decides to expand its own business agenda. That's reprehensible and I'd be damned if someone tried to tell me that I should be worshipping Apple because they're making money.

Whether Apple knows how to make money or not has very little to do with me being able to make money. Defending a private corporation which pushes its own private interests at the cost of developers and customers is simply ridiculous. Saying you support them because they know how to make money is equally ridiculous. Microsoft knew how to make money on the back of other companies back in the day, they screwed over developers ten times better than Steve Jobs could dream of doing, would you have blindly supported them back then if you were one of those who got screwed?

Feel free to defend Apple but one day they might decide that little tool you're using, or that simple little business strategy you're using, conflicts with their own bottom line.

It's the typical first they came for story all over again.

As for C# fanboyism, If another language turned around and started running on WP7, iOS, Android, OSX, PC, all consoles and ran faster than C# then I'd be the first to advocate its use. As it stands the best competition C# has is Java, and Java is lacking on some platforms and slow on most it is available on. Objective-C is just bleh, it's like they took the simple honesty of C and turned it into a conniving bastard. I can go on and on, but you get the point ;) I think it's ridiculous that someone can say otherwise but hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but they'd be wrong if they disagree with me.

Having said that I'm not sure how C# is relevant to anything here. This is business, not technical. Though of course when Apple arbitrarily decided to ban JIT based languages from its precious platform it was technical, so Apples anti-competitive behavior is not centered on screwing developers business wise but also technically.

I guess you were first in line defending them then as well?

#28 meds, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  9. jcottier

jcottier New Member

You quoted my post and added:

if that is not calling me a fanboy what it is? Anyway, I'm not defending Apple, I am against your silly comments about Apple fanboy (not just this thread).

Are Apple evil bastard that only think about itself: Yes off course, they are not different than any other massive company. If you think that Micrososft are any different your are really naive.

JC

#29 jcottier, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. meds

meds New Member

That's not calling you a fanboy unless that's how you choose to see it. What it actually is about is that specific argument you brought up, which is something Apple fanboys like to use.

Because Apple fanboys are fantastic people and not total idiots who think using multiplatform tools will produce lower quality iOS apps because Steve Jobs told them that was the case?

Where did I say Microsoft was any different? Perhaps you should try reading my posts, who knows? You might learn something ;)

11. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I'm giving up. You win, you should do politics :)

JC

12. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Sure, meds, but I'm in game dev business for 5 years now. For me iOS is just another platform, that adds one more money making avenue to my business, not the only avenue... so if they decide to cut me out too bad for them.

13. meds

meds New Member

Too boring, I'll stick to what I do well ;)

I prefer not to get pushed around by bullies. If Apple ever squeezes me out I won't be *that* kind of idiot who blindly defended the company and attacked other developers for speaking out against its anti-competitive behavior only to get kicked in the butt later down the line.

14. Scharlo

Original Member

Obviously, Amiga was better than ST, Amstrad was better than C64 (even Spectrum was better) but VIC20 was better than ZX-81.

15. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Amiga was WAY better than ST, but the atari was the only one I could afford so I kept pretending both platform were similar ;)
    C64 was a billion time better than Amstrad or Spectrum. Do you want a fight?
    VIC20 was my first computer. Amazing with it's 3.5k of memory :) and it took like 20 minutes to reload these 3.5k from my noisy tape reccorder. It was so much better before ;)

JC

16. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

C64 Roolz Muddah Fudders!

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I agree C64 was simply the best!!! :D the SID chipset was something Spectrum could only dream about ;)

18. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

/me high fives Jack

I'm such a C64 and SID nerd, I bought one of these. If it wasn't for the deadlines and the moving, I'd be rocking some authentic SIDDAGE in my audio gear setup right about now. Mmmm.

19. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I had a Spectrum 48K and eventually it broke so I bought a C64 of course. There that decides it once and for all.

@PoV: I have HVSC, I bet you do too? (for those of you who don't know what it is, no it's not a disease of the naughty bits).