A warning to not trust platform holders?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by zoombapup, May 11, 2011.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

https://www.iflowreader.com/Closing.aspx

Seems to me like building a business on a platform with a single company in control is very risky. Especially one with a reputation for being controlling to the point of doing this kind of thing.

Would you trust your entire business on selling on iphone? Do you?

2. Gary Preston

Original Member

iOS should just be considered one platform of many. If the rules are changed and no longer workable, at least you still have other platforms to target.

What is it about iflowreader that stops them porting/releasing their app in the Android and WP7 App stores?

Fortunately for us, the biggest issue with the T&C's was the scripting one and that's now been resolved. For anyone selling books such as Amazon though, the future on the platform seems less certain. It'll be interesting to see how Apple's customers react though if all the eBook based apps vanish due to the enforcement of the in-app purchase terms.

Whoever it was that said "don't put all your eggs in one basket" was right.

3. strategy

strategy New Member

Amazon are already working on their answer to Apple. There is nothing official yet, but I am 100% sure that Amazon is going to release their own Android tablet in the near future - preloaded with Amazon's App Store, Kindle, and Music store.

As an Android developer, I am really looking forward to seeing what Amazon comes up with here. If anyone has the ability to build a tablet that actually outsells the iPad# on a 1-for-1 basis (rather than - as with phones - beat them by sheer volume of offerings), it is probably Amazon.

4. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

Relying on one platform or channel of distribution is risky for any business. You know the term "don't put all your eggs on one basket."

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

That seems pretty "duh" though. Dude created a middle-man application, and Apple made a change that makes being a middleman not profitable. Boo hoo!

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah, just use lots of platform holders and keep focusing on the most profitable ones and change as they change or screw you around. Also of course, in theory the one platform you can depend on is your own site. This year I need to build up my direct sales big time.

7. meds

meds New Member

generally a good idea to get your software on as many platforms as possible. That way you don't have tow orry about an individual platforms success and policies too much..

8. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Or just don't make a product that is dependent on conditions you can't predict... or you know, make actual original content. Silly app devs.

#8 PoV, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. Vino

Vino New Member

What the guy is saying is true, you shouldn't depend on one market for this exact reason. Even though they were very careful they were still screwed by Apple. However, I don't like the guy's tone. Sure he lost his business but it's a bit unprofessional to whine and jab fingers at Apple the way he did, especially when it was his mistake in the first place to use that business model. He uses some strong language that I think may come back to haunt him in the future, as tech is not such a big industry.

10. meds

meds New Member

If what you say is true based on how Apple has been behaving and what they've been saying when their time comes they're going to get a HUGE comeuppance.

11. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Oh I dunno, if I'd spent years of my life and millions of dollars building a business whilst trying to mitigate the risk by making sure the platform holders were ok with it. I'd be pissed off too. Essentially, what this says is "at any moment apple can put you out of business by deciding you are competing with them and cutting you off from their products". Which is fine, if they are up front and honest. But you literally cannot build a business that way. Ultimately they surely must be driving developers towards other platforms by doing this kind of thing, rather than letting the better app stand against competition they are simply stifling competition. Presumably at some point they'll be in court for anti-competative practice (this is the kind of thing microsoft got accused of plenty of times remember).

12. meds

meds New Member

Depends what you do, if you're simply making games you're probably safe from Apple, providing a feature like movie streaming or whatever will probably get you put out of business down the line.

And yeah, definitely anti-competitive...

13. Vino

Vino New Member

I'm not saying Apple wasn't being anti-competitive (they were.)
    I'm not saying the guy shouldn't feel wronged (he has been.)
    I'm not saying he shouldn't voice his complaints (he has every right to.)

I'm just saying he could have done it more tactfully.

14. TomK32

TomK32 New Member

Wait a sec, they still have a decent book reader app that's worth some bucks. Sure the income without the cut on sales will be less but still something. They are plain lazy if they can't adopt their business model and application.

15. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Funny how everybody is bagging on the dev. when he just got his teeth kicked in. A lot of the tech. that we build upon was built by people taking risks and building new businesses. Things have just gotten really boring if nobody wants to make this kind of stuff anymore because Apple, Amazon or Microsoft are inevitably going to come along and eat all of the cake.

16. meds

meds New Member

Why? he was going ot get abused by Apple fanboys anyway.

Apple fanb oys think they know everything, whatever Steve Jobs says is what they're going to follow. If Steve Jobs says peoplew ho use multiplatform tools are lazy then Apple fanboys are going to accuse developers of doing so of being lazy (and yes this has happened and is now the default thought process of the average apple fanboy), if Steve Jobs says third party ebook sellers must pay a cut then Apple fanboys are going toaccuse people of bringing up issues witht his of being greedy.

17. Vino

Vino New Member

Because it's professional, who cares what Apple fanboys say?

One day this dude is going to be looking for an investment to a new company, and he's going to get turned down by Guy Kawasaki or some other ex-Apple person because they have a long memory and read this article. One day the dude is going to try to start a company doing something for the next big Apple device and he's going to be blackballed by Apple.

Now if what he wants to do is accuse Apple of unfair market monopolistic practices, then he could have made that point more clearly without resorting to name-calling. Look at this:

Apple is the dictator of a totalitarian regime? I don't know how well that metaphor holds up but it's certainly not making any friends at Apple. He's not making a point about Apple's control over its own product (which is entirely legal) or its practices shutting out competition so that its own products can succeed on that platform (which is questionable) or making any argument other than whining.

18. meds

meds New Member

That's entirely debatable. If companies of past could raise trouble for Microsoft for giving an internet browser away for free there's probably some grounds that forcing competitors to charge more for their products in your app store is illegal.

19. jcottier

jcottier New Member

What on earth are you talking about? Meds, do you have to rant about Apple Fanboys in every thread?

JC

20. Scharlo

Original Member

So, when did Apple change the rules ? As far as I can remember, they didn't allow any in app purchases that won't go through their payment processor. That was very clear in their agreement. They did of course let many app do that, but the fact that you managed to bend the rules once shouldn't be a base for your business.