A rookie looking to get started?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by jjake101, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jjake101

jjake101 New Member

OK so I have an idea for the game that I ultimately want to create (it's similar in style LEGO Rock Raiders). My programming knowledge is very basic, I can make a calculator in VB but thats about it... and I have a little experience with modding Civilization IV.

So, what I would like to know is what books (or good quality tutorials) are out there to help a novice (are there any that specifically relate to RTS games?)? and also one thing im not sure on is what game engine I should use for this kind of game?

2. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

All tutorials be it books or videos usually just make simple games like a 2d racing game or a mario type game, I would also love if someone actually finds a good RTS tutorial.

3. jjake101

jjake101 New Member

There aren't many good tutorials out there on youtube with RTS's in mind... one thing I want to try and replicate is LEGO Rock Raiders mining and base building mechanics. Which means there are even less suitable tutorials out there for me :(

4. aaro

aaro New Member

Hey there!

If you haven't decided on which language you'd like to use, I'd recommend this book.

It will teach you to build an RTS from the ground up. Be aware, though, this book is not for beginners. However, if you're interested in developing your game in HTML5/Javascript, I'd recommend starting here.

While it's possible to find free tutorials of similar quality to the instruction contained in these books, it's difficult to find some that are so clearly explained and expertly organized.

Good luck, and for what it's worth, Javascript is a fine choice for game development!

#4 aaro, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  5. Macro

Macro New Member

I would just go start working with something like Unity, there are plenty of tutorials and pre-made assets for it. If you have never done much programming past making a calculator then either stick to simple games (i.e asteroids, pong) for now to get to grips with coding and then maybe look at larger projects. The only worry with going for an engine that does a lot of it for you is that when you do need to change something or add custom logic you may be overwhelmed by it all.

It may be worth looking at learning C# with OpenGL (TAO Library) or XNA, as thats a language which is easy enough to get started in, its statically typed so there is less debugging hell when starting out and the compiler will tell you if you are doing something wrong, and you can look at Nehe tutorials (if they are still on the net) on how to get simple graphics drawn etc, this should give you a foundation to build off, and once you are happy then go look at other pre-made platforms where you just write your game on top of their framework.

6. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

I use Unity3d for my games, you cant go wrong with C# and it also supports Javascript. Tons of material in their Asset Store.

7. CDR-RAGE

CDR-RAGE New Member

hello i am a rookie developer to, have Java knowledge from modding minecraft and code academy also have HTML knowledge from code academy from code academy as well.
    and i LOVE RTS games and i would be welling to do as much as i have to offer to help development of your game :)

8. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

The reason there aren't any RTS tutorials is that they're way too complex for a tutorial to handle. If you set out to make an RTS as your first game, you'll probably end up never making a game. Start small, there are plenty of simpler games (see here for a lot of examples) you can try first. The most rewarding part in game development is getting a game actually finished, so the faster you get there, better motivated you'll be to continue making new games.