A Game without a Villain...?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by MiraHope, May 23, 2017.

1. MiraHope

MiraHope New Member

Hey all,

I've been creating a point/click adventure (very slowly) by myself, and as I work on things like story and character design, I realize the "antagonists" of the story are very nebulous concepts not really able to be distilled into one or two characters.

My story puts into light the problems with prejudice and war and explores both sides of a conflict in a fantasy world, through the lens of two separate characters who are kind of caught between.

What do you think?
    Will this be at all compelling?
    Do I need a villainous CHARACTER to stand against...?

I'd love your input.

kevintrepanier likes this.
  2. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

if you craft it well enough, you won't need a villain. Now, if the story can't go without a villain, you can try and put one in, but that doesn't mean they need to be the typical kind of villain.

3. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Animal Crossing didn't have a villain, even though people like to joke that it was Tom Nook.

I think you can have an 'objective' without a tangible villain. I guess think of it that way: "What needs to be done to win?"

4. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I like the idea of not putting all the evil into one single character that needs to be defeated. A lot of people really like to know where they stand (in terms of good and evil) and to have a clear villain to defeat, as it makes it easy to swallow.

However I think it's much more interesting to have nuanced characters and situations. I think your idea has lot of narrative potential to make players think deeply about the issues you're mentioning (war, prejudices) and could stick in player's mind after the game is complete. Using a single big bad boss villain would destroy that aspect of your story. Don't!

That being said, it would be much easier to write a villain's story than to explore complex issues like wars.