14 y/o App Developer. Made about 9 games. Need help getting downloads. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Aryamapple, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Aryamapple

Aryamapple New Member

Hey guys, I'm a 14 y/o App Dev and I make apps and games for a hobby. I spent over 1000 hours over the last year working on my main game Save the Square. I feel it has a lot of potential. I have 9 games in total. I need tips on getting more downloads. Thanks!
    Check them out here: hyperurl.co/ArGoAPPS

2. sn0wfall

sn0wfall New Member

Probably needs more polish, and your icons are not really good, you should make it look better.

3. 3ph0r

Hey there

firstly, good job on making apps at your age! :) at least you have the patience.

as for getting more downloads, i would agree with snowfall and would recommend working on getting more "professional" icons.

looking at the screenshots, it looks like your games could do with better graphics as it does look like a poorly made game. I'm sure this isn't the case(I haven't played your games...yet) but unfortunately everyone will judge whether your app is worth downloading just from looking at the screenshots.
    A game can have the best game play in the world but if it doesn't look appealing then no one will bother to try it. Its a shame really, but that's just the way it is.

so if I were you I would focus on polishing the graphics in your games :)

P.S. Dont give up or get discouraged! It doesn't matter if you don't get many downloads on your apps. The whole experience of making apps will help you a lot in the future.

maxkiel likes this.
  4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I agree with the comments above. I would pick the game that you feel has the most potential and hire a contract artist (browse the Art Portfolio section of this site for examples). Most of them will work within a reasonable "indie" budget.

maxkiel likes this.
  5. Rekusi

Indie Author

You can also sometimes get away with getting free art and/or buying art and changing it to suit your needs. My logo is a great example. Free banner and gears, t-rex from an art subscription. And I slapped them all together in PS.

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Gradients can go a long way for graphics. I also noticed that a lot of your games are "Dodge the ________". Keep practicing and keep making games. I wish I got started when I was your age.

7. voicedubz

voicedubz New Member

I would suggest a more interesting summary of your game rather than just save A from B...the end. Even with a better icon design, your in game graphics will still look very basic and to upgrade all the graphics will cost you either a lot of time or a lot of money. Chat with a friend and just have fun with coming up with some crazy back story to why square needs saving, or why the vans are trying to kill Bob.

8. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

Congratulations on making games on such young age....

Definitely agree with comments above.

Do not bother with downloads ,just do what you love and they will eventually come....Keep learning and polishing things up.

Remember to add video trailer/gameplay of each game in app description ,it helps users to know what game is really about plus appstore loves app with videos